Online bingo comes in a number of variants, some of which are fairly recent on the market. Although the basic premise of the game remains the same throughout the different types of online bingo, small and subtle changes to the rules of the game can see vastly different game play styles suited for a variety of players.
The main types of game that are currently popular in the online bingo world include:
- 90 ball bingo
- 80 ball bingo
- 75 ball bingo
- 30 ball bingo
90 Ball Bingo
This is the most traditional variation of bingo and can most commonly be found in the UK and Europe. Players from Canada and the United States will be much more familiar with 75 ball bingo, but the rules of each are pretty much the same, similarly to the many variations of online blackjack.
In 90 ball bingo, players make use of standard rules, with only minor changes:
- The card consists of three horizontal lines and nine columns
- Each card has 5 numbers on each line for a total of 15 numbers
- Column one contains numbers one to none
- Column two contains numbers 10 to 19, all the way up to 90.
75 Ball Bingo
Much more common among US and Canadian players, although the rules are almost exactly the same apart from a few card changers:
- The card is made up of 5 columns and 5 horizontal lines
- Each column is headed by a letter that spells out BINGO
- The first column contains numbers 1 to 15
- The space in the middle of the card is free and contains no numbers
80 Ball Bingo
A recent form of the game, this is often considered the happy medium between 75 ball and 90 ball. The rules remain the same here:
- The card has 4 columns and 4 horizontal lines
- Each column will be a different colour
- The game is played similarly to 75 ball
- The most common patterns are all four corners, central squares, and X shapes across the grid.
30 Ball Bingo
30 ball bingo, which is also commonly known as speed bingo, is a variation of the game aimed at those that don’t have either the time or the brain-taxing inclination to go through the higher ball versions.
The idea behind 30 ball bingo is to create an extremely fast-paced, low cost game that leads to short but frequent rounds, which also means small but frequent wings. It’s the newest type of bingo on the market, and it’s quickly becoming a fan favourite, especially thanks to the automated nature of many of the online bingo apps and clients that are available for mobile devices. Most 30 ball bingo games contain no patterns, and the winner needs to be the first to complete all their numbers of their card and to call a full house – and each game lasts a matter of minutes.